Global Value Chain (GVC)
Operating in Dynamic Markets
How profitable are your products across the entire value chain? How high are your overall material, manufacturing, and logistics costs? How are you affected by fluctuating commodity prices or exchange rates? How can you achieve transparency with regard to real transfer prices and inter-company profits? These are just some of the questions that central controlling, sales, or product and supply chain management units of international companies are finding increasingly difficult to answer.
For companies with global value chains to be successful, it is more important than ever to be able to show, plan, and optimize all the added value. This is the only way of capitalizing on the potential gains from the digital transformation, which amount to an annual figure in the region of 250 million euros for industrial sector in Europe alone.
The Solution: Global Value Chain
Our Global Value Chain solution is intended for international corporations from all industries, whether the manufacturing, plant construction, or process industry. The SAP add-on solution enables you to display your group costing and profitability in detail. More specifically, you can display planned and actual costs per division, product group and product across all production locations and systems without having to go through the laborious process of eliminating the intercompany profits manually. As a result, the solution not only provides you with a clear overview of your group costing and profitability, but also enables you to meet global statutory regulations and compliance requirements.
Benefits of Global Value Chain
- Present a global and detailed view of your group costing and profitability across any ERP and country borders
- Enjoy complete transparency (end-to-end) in relation to the costs of all products and product groups with options to create reports and drill down to any level of detail
- Work with a dynamically-created bill of materials (BOM) that shows the entire global manufacturing process (global BOM)
- Collect and calculate your material, manufacturing, and logistics costs on all product levels
- Simulate the effects of currency fluctuations and other external factors on your profitability
- Improve your margins through faster decision-making, smarter purchasing strategies, or further optimization of your supply chain
- Analyze and plan the global transfer costs and identify audit-related deviations early enough to react accordingly
Global Value Chain integrates easily into any SAP architecture landscape, thanks to the multiple options to use the system:
- Run GVC as an SAP add-on on your existing SAP ERP or SAP BW (regular DB or HANA) server
- Run GVC on a sidecar SAP ERP or SAP BW (regular DB or HANA) server
- Use GVC BW content to integrate with your existing SAP BW reporting landscape
- Extract data from virtually any SAP ERP using a plug-in (ECC4.6C and higher, Suite on HANA, S/4 HANA)
- Import data from other non-SAP ERP or business systems using an external data interface
- Coming soon: modern web-based user interface with additional analytics
- Coming soon: native views to drive visual analytics with external tools like Lumira or Tableau
Requirements and Outcome
- Almost every machine/product is customized uniquely at the factory, which means that the final cost is only known when production is completed
- Cost & profit planning is carried out on “dummy” machines
- ERP and CO-PA are permitted only for single entity reporting and analysis not excluding intermediate profits
- No company-wide profitability analysis for all products, segments, and markets
Through the implementation and use of Global Value Chain, our client can now do the following:
- Display a fully integrated view of its global value chain with planned and actual costs down to the last screw
- Analyze revenues and cost for an almost unlimited number of attributes
- Drill down from the company level aggregated date down to single items
- Run analytics based on the true global product hierarchy
- Distribute indirect costs (e.g. R&D, marketing or IT) correctly based on real-world allocations split across its products and services
(FISFG PMO & Governance)
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
EXA GVC is a unique solution, that enables companies to calculate consolidated product costs and profits along the entire global value chain, without losing track of the original underlying cost component split.
We use EXA’s GVC solution for multiple business functions and have found it very useful for all aspects of financial consolidation. Since implementing GVC, the accuracy of our cost and inventory calculation within group accounting has improved drastically. Considering that GVC works across ERP systems and across country boundaries, this is remarkable.
I personally think that EXA’s GVC solution is unmatched regarding its capabilities to create a truly global consolidated cost & profit footprint across the entire value chain. I firmly believe that it can be leveraged for various business functions such as accounting, controlling and logistics.
As for EXA, I think the company has demonstrated an impressive growth path, and in my role as Program and Project Manager at Roche, I am delighted to work with functional and technical team members from EXA. EXA consultants not only bring a very high level of expertise, but their quality consciousness and eagerness to deliver successfully is also noteworthy. This is once again being demonstrated in the current collaboration project, where Roche and EXA are working closely together.